To celebrate Carol Ann Duffy’s legacy as Poet Laureate, the Young Poets Network asked poets aged 5-25 around the world to respond to her works.
Judge (and Duffy expert) Dr Mari Hughes-Edwards selected Jack Cooper as the third prize winner.
A private man, public spaces was inspired by Duffy’s diction, along with her common themes of suffering and queer love.
Mari commented, ‘this poem respects her connection with men, their lives and their work in its naming of masculine fragilities’, and praised its references to The Anvil and some of Duffy’s influences.
You can find out more about the competition, and its winners, here.
- Vicky Olliver and Jack Cooper to feature in Imago Dei Exhibition, Enfield
- Highgate Poets to Perform Saturday 2nd March
- Publishing Success for Anna Meryt
- Competition Success for Julian Bishop
- Competition Success for Anne Ballard
- Jack Cooper Judges ‘Hour of Writes’ Competition
- Publishing Success for Julian Bishop
- Jack Cooper Shortlisted For Segora Poetry Competition 2018
- Performance Success for Highgate Poets